Results tagged ‘ Luis Marte ’
If the Tigers were looking for one more good outing from reliever Luis Marte before making a decision on him this week, they’ve got it. The right-hander who would’ve been on the Opening Day roster before a strained left hamstring sidelined him threw three scoreless innings for Triple-A Toledo on Monday morning.
Marte tossed the final three innings of the Hens’ 3-1 loss to Syracuse on a schoolkids day at Fifth Third Field. He scattered a walk and a hit with two strikeouts while throwing 22 of his 35 pitches for strikes.
Manager Jim Leyland dropped a pretty good hint about Marte when he talked about the rehab assignment last week.
“If everything goes right, he would still probably not be available up here until Friday,” Leyland said. “So I don’t know how that’s going to play out. But that’s the course for him right now. His next step is Toledo, and that’s a big step.”
With rosters now expanded, the Tigers made their first batch of September call-ups on Thursday. Most were already unexpected, some were not.
- Carlos Guillen was activated from the 15-day disabled list. He wasn’t really a September call-up, but by waiting until Sept. 1 to activate him, the Tigers didn’t have to send down anyone. He isn’t in the starting lineup Thursday, but he likely will be on Friday. How second base goes from there is anyone’s guess.
- Will Rhymes was recalled from Triple-A Toledo. Though the Tigers’ abundance of second baseman would seemingly make it hard for him to crack the starting lineup, Jim Leyland said he might play some at second.
- Andy Dirks was recalled, as expected. His left-handed bat in the outfield becomes potentially big with Brennan Boesch still working his way back. Even after Boesch comes back, he’ll probably have a significant role.
- Jacob Turner was recalled for his scheduled start this afternoon. After that, he’ll stay with team and keep his arm ready as a potential spot starter in case of a rainout or a scratch. Would not be a surprise at all to see him get another start this month, maybe even in the final week.
- As the SeaWolves announced a couple days ago, Luis Marte’s contract was purchased from Double-A Erie. He adds some depth to the bullpen. By all reports, he has a nasty breaking ball, so it’ll be interesting to see if he gets called into some strikeout situations.
The Tigers don’t have to worry about playoff roster eligibility with their September call-ups, since they can turn disabled list spots from Joel Zumaya and Brad Thomas into open spots to add guys who aren’t on the active roster until September. However, guys have to be added to the 40-man roster before they can become September call-ups. That’s apparently happening with right-hander Luis Marte, who’s turning a statistically big season in the Double-A Erie bullpen into what would be his first Major League stint.
Word from the SeaWolves after Tuesday’s game is that Marte is being called up to Detroit. He’s expected to be a September addition. The Tigers have not yet announced their September call-ups, and likely won’t until Thursday.
The numbers from the 25-year-old speak for themselves. With a 5-foot-11 frame and a nasty breaking ball, Marte allowed just 29 hits over 53 innings, walking 18 and striking out 68. He did that over just 23 games, including seven August appearances that all lasted two innings or longer. With that kind of role, his 1.70 ERA looks more significant.
Marte basically heated up around midseason. Add together his last 10 outings, and he allowed three runs on 15 hits over 27 2/3 innings, with six walks and 35 strikeouts.
The Tigers will have to purchase Marte’s contract to add him to the 40-man roster. However, they have an open spot still left over from Chance Ruffin’s trade to Seattle, so they won’t have to make any return move.