Sunday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Red Sox
Cameron Maybin felt good enough taking batting practice Saturday that he told manager Brad Ausmus that he felt ready to return. After a few at-bats in Jordan Zimmermann’s simulated game Sunday morning, the Tigers gave him the go-ahead, activating him from the 15-day disabled list. Dixon Machado, who hasn’t started since the Erick Aybar trade, was optioned to Triple-A Toledo to make room.
Meanwhile, Victor Martinez gets a day out of the lineup, which coupled with Monday’s scheduled off-day will give him two days of rest ahead of the upcoming series at Minnesota. Miguel Cabrera gets a day at DH, with Jarrod Saltalamacchia starting at first base.
On the Red Sox side, big lefty Henry Owens gets a spot start with Eduardo Rodriguez injured.
With the Red Sox involved, today is a TBS Sunday afternoon broadcast, for those of you watching outside of Michigan.
TIGERS (career numbers off Henry Owens)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (2-for-3, 2 doubles)
- Cameron Maybin, CF
- Miguel Cabrera, DH
- J.D. Martinez, RF (0-for-1, walk)
- Justin Upton, LF
- Casey McGehee, 3B
- James McCann, C (0-for-1, walk)
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia, 1B
- Erick Aybar, SS
P: Justin Verlander
RED SOX (career numbers vs. Verlander)
- Dustin Pedroia, 2B (2-for-24, walk, 3 K’s)
- Xander Bogaerts, SS (3-for-9, double, 2 K’s)
- David Ortiz, DH (11-for-34, 4 doubles, 2 HR, 5 walks, 10 K’s)
- Mookie Betts, RF (0-for-7, K)
- Hanley Ramirez, 1B (2-for-8, walk, K)
- Jackie Bradley Jr., CF (1-for-3, 2 walks)
- Sandy Leon, C (0-for-2, K)
- Travis Shaw, 3B (1-for-5, double, walk, 3 K’s)
- Andrew Benintendi, LF
P: Henry Owens