Saturday’s lineups: Tigers at Rangers
Dixon Machado gets the start at shortstop in his first game back up in place of Jose Iglesias, but that’s just the start of the adjustments tonight. With lefty Cole Hamels on the mound, Casey McGehee moves up to the second spot in the order.
“Someone’s gotta hit second. He gives you a good at-bat,” manager Brad Ausmus said.
Mike Aviles, 3-for-7 with two home runs off Hamels, gets the expected start, but in center field rather than short. It’ll be his fifth career Major League start in center, and his first since Aug. 28 of last season.
“We’ve been struggling a little bit with runs, scoring runs,” Ausmus said. “He’s had a little bit of success against Hamels. I’d talked to him in Seattle about working in center. He’s played center before. We’ll try to squeeze a little bit more offense out of it today.”
With Matt Boyd on the mound, Jarrod Saltalamacchia gets the start against the lefty; he has two homers against Hamels.
TIGERS (career numbers against Hamels)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (4-for-12, K)
- Casey McGehee, 3B (7-for-24, double, HR, 3 walks)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (8-for-15, 2 doubles, triple, 6 walks, 2 K’s)
- Victor Martinez, DH (2-for-17, HR, walk, 2 K’s)
- J.D. Martinez, RF (3-for-8, double, HR, walk, K)
- Justin Upton, LF (11-for-38, 4 doubles, HR, 13 K’s)
- Mike Aviles, CF (3-for-7, double, 2 HR, 2 walks, 2 K’s)
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C (5-for-19, double, 2 HR, 7 K’s)
- Dixon Machado, SS
P: Matt Boyd
RANGERS (career numbers off Boyd)
- Shin-Soo Choo, RF (1-for-7, walk, 2 K’s)
- Ian Desmond, CF
- Adrian Beltre, 3B (3-for-7, double, HR, 2 K’s)
- Carlos Beltran, DH (1-for-3)
- Rougned Odor, 2B (2-for-6, double, HR, K)
- Jonathan Lucroy, C
- Mitch Moreland, 1B (3-for-8, double, HR)
- Jurickson Profar, LF
- Elvis Andrus, SS (2-for-5)
P: Cole Hamels