Friday’s lineups: Tigers at White Sox
Jose Iglesias’ move to the second spot in the Tigers batting order lasted three games. That said, the Tigers offense didn’t look much different in those few games than the previous week or two, notably with Ian Kinsler in the fifth spot. Yoenis Cespedes, as expected, is in the lineup after leaving yesterday’s game with flu-like symptoms. With his numbers off Jose Quintana, he might have needed to be bedridden to miss that matchup. Rajai Davis gets a similarly favorable matchup in his return from the paternity leave list.
Last but not least, Brad Ausmus gets one more right-handed bat in the lineup against the left-handed Quintana by starting Josh Wilson at third base and DHing Nick Castellanos.
Some pregame stats and tidbits:
- NumberFire released its weekly power rankings of baseball’s hottest and coldest hitters based on runs contributed over league average. Miguel Cabrera is eighth, creeping up one spot from last week. Anthony Gose, meanwhile, is the fourth coldest, based on the biggest drops in efficiency from last week. Considering Gose started 17 of the last 18 games, with one team off-day mixed in, gotta think fatigue has played a part.
- Iglesias has struck out just five times in 76 plate appearances over the last month, good for the fifth-lowest strikeout rate among full-time players in that span according to Inside Edge.
- Miguel Cabrera’s streak of reaching base safely is now at 23 games, longest active streak in the big leagues.
- Actor LeVar Burton is throwing out the ceremonial first pitch tonight. You may remember him from his role playing Ron LeFlore in the TV movie One in a Million from the 1970s. LeFlore spent the final couple seasons of his Major League career with the White Sox after six seasons with the Tigers (he spent a year in Montreal in between).
TIGERS (career numbers off Quintana)
- Rajai Davis, CF (11-for-31, 3 doubles, HR, 2 walks, 6 K’s)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (7-for-23, 2 doubles, walk, 5 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (9-for-25, 2 doubles, HR, 2 walks, 4 K’s)
- Yoenis Cespedes, LF (6-for-9, double, 4 HR, walk)
- J.D. Martinez, RF (1-for-11, triple, 2 walks, 4 K’s)
- Nick Castellanos, DH (3-for-15, 5 K’s)
- James McCann, C (1-for-2, triple)
- Josh Wilson, 3B (1-for-2)
- Jose Iglesias, SS (1-for-5, double, 2 K’s)
P: Kyle Ryan
WHITE SOX (numbers off Ryan)
- Adam Eaton, CF (1-for-3)
- Alexei Ramirez, SS (1-for-3, double)
- Jose Abreu, DH (1-for-2, walk)
- Avisail Garcia, RF (0-for-3, K)
- Adam LaRoche, 1B
- Melky Cabrera, LF
- Gordon Beckham, 3B
- Tyler Flowers, C
- Carlos Sanchez, 2B (1-for-2)
P: Jose Quintana