Thursday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Twins
For the first time since April 17, Victor Martinez is out of the Tigers starting lineup. It’s interesting timing ahead of three more days out of the lineup in St. Louis, where the Tigers won’t have a DH slot, but Brad Ausmus indicated that a fourth day wouldn’t hurt. There’s a potential matchup advantage, since Twins starter Mike Pelfrey is allowing a .194 average (14-for-72) this year to left-handed hitters, but Ausmus indicated that did not make his decision.
With the elder Martinez off — though he’s available to pinch-hit — J.D. Martinez gets a day to take it easy on his back at DH after leaving Wednesday’s game with lower back tightness. Martinez indicated this morning that he might have tweaked it on his second base hit, and he felt it tighten up as he ran out to right field the next inning.
With V-Mart out and Rajai Davis in, the Tigers will have eight right-handed hitters against Pelfrey, who has strong reverse splits going this season and slight reverse splits for his career. The only left-handed hitter for Detroit starting today is leadoff man Anthony Gose.
Reminder: Today’s game is on MLB Network for folks not in the Detroit or Minneapolis TV markets.
TIGERS (career numbers off Pelfrey)
- Anthony Gose, CF (2-for-7, double, walk, 2 K’s)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (2-for-9, double, 2 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (5-for-23, 7 walks, 2 K’s)
- J.D. Martinez, DH (1-for-3, double, 2 K’s)
- Yoenis Cespedes, LF (4-for-8, 2 doubles, K)
- Nick Castellanos, 3B (0-for-3)
- Rajai Davis, RF (1-for-5)
- Bryan Holaday, C
- Jose Iglesias, SS (2-for-4)
P: Anibal Sanchez
TWINS (career numbers off Sanchez)
- Brian Dozier, 2B (1-for-17, 2 walks, 4 K’s)
- Kurt Suzuki, C (3-for-6)
- Joe Mauer, DH (6-for-23, 2 walks, 4 K’s)
- Trevor Plouffe, 3B (3-for-18, HR, 2 walks, 4 K’s)
- Eduardo Escobar, LF (1-for-9, double, walk, 2 K’s)
- Kennys Vargas, 1B (0-for-2, walk, K)
- Eddie Rosario, RF
- Aaron Hicks, CF (0-for-8, walk, 3 K’s)
- Danny Santana, SS (5-for-11, 3 K’s)
P: Mike Pelfrey