Friday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Royals (updated)
UPDATE: In a last-minute change, James McCann is catching, not Alex Avila. Word from Tigers is that Avila was scratched with a bruised right forearm. He took a foul tip off that area on Thursday in Chicago.
As expected, Jose Iglesias gets his second straight game off while he deals with tightness in his groin. In fact, it sounds increasingly like Iglesias won’t be a part of this series at all.
“We gave him a couple days last time and it popped back up,” Brad Ausmus said, “so he’s going to have to take a few days at least before we’d consider putting him back in.”
Andrew Romine gets the start at shortstop. Everything else is as expected, though Rajai Davis’ numbers off Yordano Ventura (2-for-5) raised the question whether he might get another start.
On the Royals side, Alcides Escobar returns from the concussion DL to bat leadoff, moving Alex Gordon down. On the flip side, Mike Moustakas will be gone for the weekend after being placed on the bereavement/family emergency list this afternoon. Christian Colon, who had been filling in for Escobar, will now fill in for Moustakas.
Reminder: Tonight’s game will be on MLB Network for fans outside the Detroit and Kansas City markets.
TIGERS (career numbers vs. Ventura)
- Anthony Gose, CF
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (1-for-3)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (0-for-2, walk, K)
- Victor Martinez, DH (2-for-3, K)
- Yoenis Cespedes, LF (1-for-4)
- J.D. Martinez, RF (2-for-3, double)
Alex Avila, C (0-for-3, walk, 2 K’s)Nick Castellanos, 3B (0-for-4, K) Nick Castellanos, 3B (0-for-4, K)James McCann, C
- Andrew Romine, SS
P: David Price
ROYALS (career numbers off Price)
- Alcides Escobar, SS
- Lorenzo Cain, CF
- Eric Hosmer, 1B (1-for-7, K)
- Kendrys Morales, DH (4-for-17, walk, 4 K’s)
- Alex Gordon, LF (0-for-10)
- Salvador Perez, C (2-for-6)
- Omar Infante, 2B (1-for-6, HR, K)
- Paulo Orlando, RF (0-for-3)
- Christian Colon, 3B (1-for-3)
P: Yordano Ventura