Saturday’s lineups: Tigers at Royals
For the first time this season, J.D. Martinez is out of the starting lineup. He gets the night off amidst an 0-for-10 stretch with seven strikeouts since he homered at Target Field on Wednesday. Beyond that, he’s 2-for-17 with 11 strikeouts. Rajai Davis starts alongside Anthony Gose, giving them a speed duo in the outfield as well as the 9-1 spots.
Even with the lefty-lefty matchup, keep an eye on Mike Moustakas. While left-handed hitters are 11-for-34 (.324) against David Price so far this season, Moustakas is 14-for-43 (.326) against left-handed pitchers. Against all pitchers, he’s 10-for-23 over his last five games.
As for the shift the Tigers have put on Moustakas and Eric Hosmer so far this series, Brad Ausmus said after Hosmer’s bunt single last night that they might tweak their strategy a little bit, but that they’re still going to shift them.
As for the photo above, it’s Salvador Perez bobblehead day. That was the line outside the first-base gate just over four hours before game time.
TIGERS (career numbers off Volquez)
- Anthony Gose, CF
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (2-for-6, 2 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (1-for-3, 2 walks)
- Victor Martinez, DH (0-for-7, K)
- Yoenis Cespedes, LF
- Alex Avila, C (1-for-3, HR)
- Nick Castellanos, 3B
- Jose Iglesias, SS (0-for-1)
- Rajai Davis, RF (1-for-6, triple, K)
P: David Price
ROYALS (career numbers against Price)
- Alex Gordon, LF (0-for-6)
- Mike Moustakas, 3B (0-for-3, 3 K’s)
- Lorenzo Cain, CF (1-for-3, K)
- Eric Hosmer, 1B (1-for-3)
- Kendrys Morales, DH (4-for-14, walk, 3 K’s)
- Salvador Perez, C (0-for-3)
- Omar Infante, 2B (1-for-3, HR)
- Paulo Orlando, RF
- Christian Colon, SS
P: Edinson Volquez