Wednesday lineups: Tigers vs. Twins
Anthony Gose makes his Tigers debut today, getting the start in center field. He’ll start against most right-handers, manager Brad Ausmus reiterated Wednesday, but not all.
“Raj is going to see probably the vast majority of the lefties,” Ausmus said. “Anthony’s going to see the majority of the righties. And there’s going to be times where Raj, whether it’s a matchup situation or he just needs to play because we haven’t seen a lefty, is also going to face righties. You probably could say the same thing about the catchers.”
Other than center field, it’s the same lineup for Detroit, including Nick Castellanos batting ahead of Alex Avila. Castellanos homered off Nolasco here last September.
Same exact lineup for the Twins, who have some bad history against Anibal Sanchez. He had 2 2/3 hitless innings in Minnesota last April 26 when a blister broke open on him.
As for the weather, as the picture shows, it’s pretty damp and cold. For now, however, it’s expected to be dry, allowing them to get the game in. It’s the kind of weather that makes hitters hate getting jammed on fastballs even more, but Anibal Sanchez isn’t a fan either.
“I don’t like it,” Sanchez said Monday. “I’m positive. I don’t like it at all. Boo.”
TIGERS (career numbers off Nolasco)
- Anthony Gose, CF (0-for-2, K)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (5-for-12, 3 doubles, K)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (2-for-9, 5 K’s)
- Victor Martinez, DH (5-for-7, double, 2 walks)
- J.D. Martinez, RF (3-for-11, walk, 2 K’s)
- Yoenis Cespedes, LF
- Nick Castellanos, 3B (2-for-5, double, HR, K)
- Alex Avila, C (0-for-4, 2 walks, K)
- Jose Iglesias, SS (0-for-2, K)
P: Anibal Sanchez
TWINS (career numbers off Sanchez)
- Danny Santana, SS
- Brian Dozier, 2B (1-for-14, 2 walks, 4 K’s)
- Joe Mauer, 1B (5-for-17, 2 walks, 3 K’s)
- Torii Hunter, RF (2-for-6, double, 2 K’s)
- Kennys Vargas, DH
- Trevor Plouffe, 3B (3-for-13, HR, walk, 2 K’s)
- Oswaldo Arcia, LF (0-for-10, walk, 4 K’s)
- Kurt Suzuki, C (1-for-2)
- Jordan Schafer, CF (1-for-12, walk, 8 K’s)
P: Ricky Nolasco