Devon Travis tops Baseball America’s Tigers prospect rankings
Devon Travis had an injury-shortened 2014 season, starting with an oblique strain and ending with core muscle surgery. In between, however, he did what he has always done in the Tigers system, hitting and hustling. He now has a case as the Tigers top prospect.
The end-of-season rankings from Baseball America came out Wednesday, with Travis topping a list that shifted a lot with this past summer’s trades. As Ben Badler writes:
Few prospects in the organization have star potential. The pitchers are a mix of possible back-end starters and relievers. The position players are more steady than special, with Devon Travis blocked at second base by Kinsler.
Travis is currently recovering from surgery, but is expected to transition to center field for next season, either back at Erie or at Triple-A Toledo. With Kinsler under contract for the next three seasons, it’s his best chance to crack the big leagues, and the best chance for the Tigers to address a position that has no natural answer in the short or long term otherwise. Perhaps it’s fitting, then, that Badler compares Travis’ profile to that of Pirates All-Star Josh Harrison, who hit all the way up the Buccos farm system until Pittsburgh had to give him a chance, first as a utility player and then as pretty much an everyday guy who could move around positions. They also have similar body frames.
Travis ranked fourth on MLB.com’s end-of-season Tigers prospect rankings, one of several differences. While Derek Hill tops MLB.com’s list, he’s fourth on Baseball America’s. Steven Moya ranks second on Baseball America’s list, but he’s seventh on the MLB.com list.
Here are the two lists:
- Devon Travis, 2B, Erie (BA) / Derek Hill, CF, Connecticut (MLB.com)
- Steven Moya, RF / Robbie Ray, LHP
- Buck Farmer, RHP / Jonathon Crawford, RHP, West Michigan
- Derek Hill, CF / Devon Travis, 2B
- Domingo Leyba, 2B, West Michigan / Kevin Ziomek, LHP, West Michigan
- Kevin Ziomek, LHP / Austin Kubitza, RHP, West Michigan
- Robbie Ray, LHP / Steven Moya, RF
- Hernan Perez, IF / Buck Farmer, RHP
- James McCann, C / Domingo Leyba, 2B
- Tyler Collins, OF / Hernan Perez, IF