Friday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Indians
Eugenio Suarez returns to the lineup for the first time since last Saturday after Brad Ausmus started Andrew Romine for the entire Royals series.
“He wasn’t being punished for anything,” Ausmus said of Suarez during his pregame session. “Certainly, I think young guys at this point put a little more pressure sometimes on themselves.”
Ausmus said again that he started Romine this week trying to take advantage of his defense while his bat was hot.
Rajai Davis, meanwhile, returns to center field against a right-hander, in this case Carlos Carrasco.
On the Indians side, Mike Aviles starts in the outfield for the first time since his disastrous defensive display on Labor Day against the Tigers in Cleveland. Aviles starts in left, while lefty nemesis Ryan Raburn gets the start in right. Michael Brantley is the DH.
The forecast looks like it’s going to hold up for baseball, albeit with the first bit of fall chill in the air. Rain isn’t scheduled to arrive until after midnight.
Injury update: Phil Coke said today he was feeling improvement in his back, but he was still clearly limited in his movements. He was on the field for batting practice for a brief while before going back in.
“He still feels it a little bit in his lower back,” Ausmus said. “He’s touch-and-go at this point.”
Broadcast note: Tonight’s game is on MLB Network everywhere outside of the Detroit viewing market. Jack Morris is still in the booth this week along with Rod and Mario.
TIGERS (career numbers off Carrasco)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (3-for-12, 2 doubles, walk, 4 K’s)
- Torii Hunter, RF (6-for-15, double, triple, 2 HR, walk, 3 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, DH (5-for-15, double, HR, 3 walks, 3 K’s)
- Victor Martinez, 1B (4-for-14, 2 doubles)
- J.D. Martinez, LF (2-for-7, K)
- Alex Avila, C (3-for-9, double, 2 walks, 5 K’s)
- Nick Castellanos, 3B (2-for-4, walk, K)
- Eugenio Suarez, SS (1-for-4, 2 K’s)
- Rajai Davis, CF (2-for-7, K)
P: David Price
INDIANS (career numbers off Price)
- Michael Bourn, CF (3-for-12, double, 3 K’s)
- Jose Ramirez, SS (0-for-4, 3 K’s)
- Michael Brantley, DH (2-for-13, walk, 2 K’s)
- Carlos Santana, 1B (6-for-15, 4 doubles, 3 walks, 3 K’s)
- Yan Gomes, C (0-for-3, K)
- Jason Kipnis, 2B (1-for-6, 2 K’s)
- Ryan Raburn, RF (5-for-16, double, 3 walks, 5 K’s)
- Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B (3-for-6, double, HR)
- Mike Aviles, LF (5-for-20, double, walk, 2 K’s)
P: Carlos Carrasco