Friday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Giants
Miguel Cabrera makes his return to first base for the first time since last Saturday in Chicago, a move that appears to involve getting Victor Martinez a day out of the field as much as Cabrera getting back into the field. It’s going to be a mix from here on out.
“It’s going to be a balancing act with Miggy’s ankle and Victor over there at first,” Ausmus said.
Alex Avila, however, remains off, after what Ausmus called a minor headache following a workout yesterday.
“We want to have a day when he’s completely symptom-free,” Ausmus said Friday afternoon. “Yesterday when he started getting active, he had a minor headache. It might be unrelated, but it’s better to be safe than sorry.”
Bryan Holaday starts behind the plate once again. Asked about James McCann, Ausmus reiterated what he said in Cleveland, that McCann’s lack of work with most of the Tigers pitching staff outside of Spring Training (and his relatively little knowledge on Major League hitters) makes him a lower option as a starter, though he could get a start soon if Avila remains out and Holaday needs a break.
“Triple-A to the big leagues is a big jump,” Ausmus said, “and it’s a bigger job when you’re talking about handling a pitching staff.”
Torii Hunter returns after being out of the starting lineup last night in Cleveland to rest his bruised left foot.
TIGERS (career numbers against Jake Peavy)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (5-for-10, double, triple, walk, 2 K’s)
- Torii Hunter, RF (9-for-21, 2 doubles, triple, HR, walk, 2 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (16-for-49, 2 doubles, 3 HR, 4 walks, 15 K’s)
- Victor Martinez, DH (4-for-12, 2 HR, K)
- J.D. Martinez, LF (2-for-3, double)
- Nick Castellanos, 3B
- Bryan Holaday, C
- Eugenio Suarez, SS
- Rajai Davis, CF (0-for-10, 2 K’s)
P: Rick Porcello
GIANTS (career numbers off Porcello)
- Angel Pagan, CF (2-for-2, double)
- Joe Panik, 2B
- Buster Posey, C
- Pablo Sandoval, 3B (1-for-4, double, 2 K’s)
- Hunter Pence, RF
- Gregor Blanco, LF (2-for-10, walk, 4 K’s)
- Travis Ishikawa, 1B (1-for-3, 2 K’s)
- Adam Duvall, DH
- Brandon Crawford, SS (0-for-4)
P: Jake Peavy