Sunday’s lineups: Tigers at Twins
Miguel Cabrera aggravated his sore right ankle when he hit the bag hard trying to beat out a double play throw Saturday night. He stayed in the game until being lifted for a pinch-runner in the eighth, but he was clearly limping on his way through the dugout. It’s enough of a concern that he’s out of the lineup today, giving him two days to recover before Tuesday’s series opener against the Yankees back at Comerica Park.
“Maybe two days off in a row might help,” manager Brad Ausmus said Sunday morning.
Cabrera could pinch-hit, but Ausmus said he’d save that for a situation with runners on and a late-game scenario.
The cascade effect on the lineup affects most of the other spots. Ian Kinsler is back batting second, Rajai Davis is leading off, and Torii Hunter is hitting third. Don Kelly, the first baseman for the day, will bat ninth.
TIGERS (career numbers off Kyle Gibson)
- Rajai Davis, CF
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (1-for-4, walk)
- Torii Hunter, RF (0-for-2, walk)
- Victor Martinez, DH (1-for-5, double)
- J.D. Martinez, LF (1-for-3, double, K)
- Nick Castellanos, 3B (0-for-4, K)
- Alex Avila, C (3-for-4, double)
- Eugenio Suarez, SS
- Don Kelly, 1B (1-for-4, double)
P: Max Scherzer
TWINS (career numbers vs. Scherzer)
- Danny Santana, CF (1-for-3, double, K)
- Brian Dozier, 2B (1-for-11, HR, walk, 7 K’s)
- Joe Mauer, 1B (8-for-28, HR, 2 walks, 2 K’s)
- Kennys Vargas, DH
- Oswaldo Arcia, RF (2-for-3, double, K)
- Trevor Plouffe, 3B (1-for-13, walk, 7 K’s)
- Kurt Suzuki, C (2-for-5, HR, walk, K)
- Eduardo Escobar, SS (2-for-8, double, K)
- Jordan Schafer, LF (0-for-3, walk, K)
P: Kyle Gibson