Dombrowski on MLB Network Radio: Tigers were out on Castillo bidding Monday
We’re expecting to talk with Dave Dombrowski in person at Target Field later this afternoon about the Tigers’ involvement in the Rusney Castillo bidding. He talked a little earlier, though, with MLB Network Radio, where he told Jim Bowden and Casey Stern that they made a substantial offer, but were out of the bidding a few days ago.
“I don’t think we were ever really close,” Dombrowski said. “We were interested in him and we made we thought was a real solid offer, but we went where we thought we were prepared to go, which was somewhere in the rumored neighborhood of what was out there.”
That offer, Dombrowski said, was as far as they were willing to go. Whether they fell short in years or money isn’t clear, but his suggestion was that it didn’t get them to the final bidding the last couple days.
“We were basically told earlier in the week — I think first thing Monday — that we were no longer a participant,” Dombrowski continued. “We haven’t had any discussions the rest of the week.”
Though a lot of speculation had Castillo as a potential contributor for the Tigers down the stretch and into the playoffs, Dombrowski said that wasn’t their plan. Their interest in Castillo was almost exclusively for next season and beyond.
“Never was he in our plans, despite some rumors, in our plans for the 2014 season,” he said. “With the amount of time he had off, everything we were discussing was towards 2015.”
Dombrowski’s scouting report on Castillo: “We thought that he’d be a real good center field. He’s got above average speed. We thought he’d be an above-average basestealer at the big league level, and probably 15-type home run power. A real good all-around player is how we all looked at him.”