June 22nd, 2014
Torii Hunter went through pretty much all baseball activity at regular speed Sunday, taking batting practice, running the bases, doing outfield drills. After a day off at his home near Dallas, he’s expected to be ready for Tuesday’s series opener against the Rangers.
And his manager is prepared to play him.
“We’ll see if he’s good on Tuesday,” Brad Ausmus said. “If he’s good, he’s more than likely going to be in the lineup unless there’s some other issue.”
However, Ausmus is also prepared to keep playing J.D. Martinez, who now has a 12-game hitting streak.
“I don’t see how I can take him out of the lineup,” Ausmus said, “unless he tells me he doesn’t want to play or can’t play.”
So if Hunter’s likely playing more games than not, and Martinez is definitely playing, that likely leaves an outfield rotation. It’s something Ausmus hinted at earlier this weekend, and it would leave Rajai Davis and Austin Jackson both sacrificing playing time, though Davis was already giving up some time to Martinez and Don Kelly.
Not a whole lot of changes for a day game after a night game. Andrew Romine gets the start at shortstop, but Alex Avila is behind the plate again for Max Scherzer. Likewise, the Indians lineup looks awfully familiar.
TIGERS (career numbers against Josh Tomlin)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (1-for-3, double, walk)
- Austin Jackson, CF (4-for-11, 2 doubles, triple, HR, K)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (2-for-4, double, 3 walks)
- Victor Martinez, DH (0-for-5, 2 walks)
- J.D. Martinez, RF (0-for-1, K)
- Nick Castellanos, 3B (0-for-2, 2 K’s)
- Alex Avila, C (2-for-8, 2 HR, 2 K’s)
- Andrew Romine, SS
- Rajai Davis, LF (2-for-7, triple, HR)
P: Max Scherzer
INDIANS (career numbers off Scherzer)
- Michael Bourn, CF (7-for-25, double, walk, 5 K’s)
- Asdrubal Cabrera, SS (11-for-42, 4 doubles, HR, 3 walks, 13 K’s)
- Michael Brantley, LF (10-for-35, 5 doubles, triple, HR, 3 walks, K)
- Jason Kipnis, 2B (5-for-24, double, 2 walks, 7 K’s)
- Carlos Santana, 1B (3-for-31, double, 6 walks, 4 K’s)
- Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B (5-for-20, double, HR, 3 K’s)
- Nick Swisher, DH (8-for-25, 2 doubles, triple, 5 walks, 10 K’s)
- David Murphy, RF (7-for-25, 2 doubles, 2 walks, 7 K’s)
- Yan Gomes, C (0-for-3, 2 K’s)
P: Josh Tomlin