Saturday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Red Sox
Eugenio Suarez is in the Tigers starting lineup after missing Friday’s game with a sore left knee. Infield coach Matt Martin put him through some drills and hit him some ground balls Saturday afternoon, which he handled without any obvious trouble.
“Right now I’m very good,” Suarez said afterwards. “Right now I don’t feel nothing — maybe a little tight, but nothing hurt, nothing bad.”
Alex Avila, as expected, is not in the starting lineup after suffering what Tigers officials are calling a mild concussion Friday night. He could be cleared to play, depending on how he came out of batting practice and pregame drills, but manager Brad Ausmus indicated he has no intention of using him. Full story on Avila will be on the site shortly, but basically he’s considered day-to-day for now, and the Tigers will watch for symptoms even after he returns.
The Tigers have had some serious problems against left-handed pitching the last week or two. Granted, they’ve faced some good left-handed pitching in that stretch, including Oakland’s Tommy Milone and Seattle’s Roenis Elias, but Jon Lester is a notch above those two. Despite their success a few weeks ago in Boston, this should be a test for their offense.
Reminder: Tonight’s game is on the FOX network, not Fox Sports Detroit. It’s part of a split national broadcaster with Yankees-Royals. If you can’t get it on TV where you are, you should be able to snag it online at MLB.TV.
TIGERS (career numbers against Jon Lester)
- Rajai Davis, LF (11-for-38, 2 doubles, 2 triples, HR, 4 walks, 10 K’s)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (7-for-29, 2 HR, 3 walks, 4 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (12-for-35, 2 doubles, HR, 8 walks, 3 K’s)
- Victor Martinez, DH (8-for-22, double, triple, HR, 3 walks, K)
- Torii Hunter, RF (15-for-38, 3 doubles, HR, 2 walks, 5 K’s)
- Nick Castellanos, 3B (0-for-2)
- Austin Jackson, CF (7-for-20, double, 2 walks, 4 K’s)
- Bryan Holaday, C
- Eugenio Suarez, SS
P: Max Scherzer
RED SOX (career numbers off Scherzer)
- Brock Holt, 1B
- Xander Bogaerts, 3B (1-for-3, double, 2 walks, K)
- Dustin Pedroia, 2B (6-for-24, double, 2 HR, 2 walks, 5 K’s)
- David Ortiz, DH (8-for-21, double, 3 HR, 6 walks, 4 K’s)
- Grady Sizemore, RF (1-for-11, walk, 2 K’s)
- Daniel Nava, LF (1-for-9, walk, 2 K’s)
- Stephen Drew, SS (2-for-16, 2 doubles, walk, 7 K’s)
- David Ross, C (2-for-6, double, 2 K’s)
- Jackie Bradley Jr., CF (0-for-2, K)
P: Jon Lester