Saturday’s lineups: Tigers at Royals
With back-to-back left-handed starters going for the Royals this weekend, Brad Ausmus planned on resting Alex Avila for one game and playing him in the other. He chose to rest him Saturday and bring him back Sunday for Justin Verlander’s start. Thus, the Tigers will field an all-righty lineup against Royals lefty Danny Duffy, who has allowed a .272 average (126-for-464) and .825 OPS against right-handed hitters in his career, compared with .250 and .711 for lefties.
Royals manager Ned Yost told Dick Kaegel that Duffy should be good for 75-85 pitches tonight in his first start for Kansas City this season. He has been working out of the bullpen since his call-up April 12. Ausmus, meanwhile, said Drew Smyly could stretch out his pitch count a bit tonight if he’s going well.
The Royals lineup originally posted early this afternoon had Salvador Perez in it, but he’s now out, reportedly with a bruised left shin. Brett Hayes gets the start behind the plate.
A reminder: Tonight’s game is on Fox Sports 1, not Fox Sports Detroit. If you go to FSD, you’ll find something else. If you don’t get FS1, you have time to improvise.
TIGERS (career numbers against Duffy)
- Rajai Davis, LF (1-for-3, double, walk)
- Ian Kinsler, 2B (1-for-4, HR, walk, K)
- Miguel Cabrera, 1B (4-for-13, 2 doubles, 4 walks, 3 K’s)
- Victor Martinez, DH (2-for-11, walk, K)
- Torii Hunter, RF (0-for-4, walk, K)
- Austin Jackson, CF (2-for-13, double, HR, 3 walks, 4 K’s)
- Nick Castellanos, 3B (1-for-2)
- Bryan Holaday, C (0-for-2, K)
- Danny Worth, SS
P: Drew Smyly
ROYALS (career numbers off Smyly)
- Nori Aoki, RF
- Omar Infante, 2B
- Eric Hosmer, 1B (1-for-9, walk, 3 K’s)
- Billy Butler, DH (5-for-6, double, K)
- Alex Gordon, LF (1-for-12, walk, 7 K’s)
Salvador Perez, C (1-for-1, HR)Danny Valencia, 3B (0-for-2)
- Alcides Escobar, SS (3-for-9, double, 3 K’s)
- Justin Maxwell, CF
- Brett Hayes, C
P: Danny Duffy