Wednesday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Mariners
It’s a different looking lineup today as Jim Leyland weighs trying to play some right-handed hitters against right-hander Hisashi Iwakuma — who has actually been slightly tougher on left-handed hitters (.217 average, .603 OPS this year) than he has on righties (.235 average, .698 OPS) — with wanting to rest a couple right-handed hitters for Thursday’s matinee against lefty James Paxton. Torii Hunter is off, and Don Kelly gets a second consecutive start. Matt Tuiasosopo gets another start as Leyland gives him a chance to get going. He was already set to play left field Thursday, so he’ll get three
consecutive starts in four days to try to make his case for postseason consideration.
Omar Infante is feeling OK despite sore quadriceps, but Leyland decided to give him the night game off before the day game against Paxton. Hernan Perez gets the start over Ramon Santiago.
The Mariners lineup features 42-year-old Henry Blanco behind the plate. Kendrys Morales is back in the cleanup spot, and his numbers off Verlander aren’t bad at all.
The bullpen is pretty close to full strength with Benoit and Smyly back from their days off. The one key out is Bruce Rondon, and it sounds unlikely he’ll be available this homestand. He threw long toss today and felt fine, but he’ll need to do that again tomorrow before being scheduled to throw off a mound again this weekend.
TIGERS (career numbers against Iwakuma)
- Austin Jackson, CF (0-for-4, K)
- Don Kelly, RF (0-for-2)
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (1-for-3)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (2-for-4, K)
- Victor Martinez, DH (0-for-1, walk)
- Matt Tuiasosopo, LF
- Alex Avila, C (0-for-4, K)
- Hernan Perez, 2B
- Jose Iglesias, SS (1-for-2, K)
P: Justin Verlander
MARINERS (career numbers against Verlander)
- Dustin Ackley, CF (2-for-6, 2 K’s)
- Franklin Gutierrez, RF (9-for-35, 2 HR, 2 walks, 10 K’s)
- Kyle Seager, 3B (3-for-4)
- Kendrys Morales, DH (8-for-21, HR, 5 K’s)
- Justin Smoak, 1B (3-for-8, HR, walk, 5 K’s)
- Michael Saunders, LF (2-for-14, 4 K’s)
- Nick Franklin, 2B
- Henry Blanco, C (1-for-3)
- Carlos Triunfel, SS
P: Hisashi Iwakuma