Labor Day lineups: Tigers at Red Sox
Miguel Cabrera is out again today. No word on whether he’s available to pinch-hit, but there seemed to be no mystery whether he’d start. The wait this morning was on Austin Jackson and his status. For now, at least, he appears to be available. Dave Dombrowski reportedly told a Boston radio station this morning that Cabrera will probably return at some point in this series.
The new twist to the Tigers lineup comes after Jackson. Torii Hunter, Prince Fielder and Victor Martinez all move up in the Tigers lineup. Jim Leyland wants to give him potentially one more at-bat late in the game, presumably meaning one more chance to hit one out. Fielder bats third for the first time since Aug. 13, 2010 with the Brewers. Martinez hit cleanup four times in 2011, three of them on days when Miguel Cabrera was off.
Andy Dirks will hit fifth. Don Kelly, playing third in Cabrera’s place, will bat seventh.
The forecast in Boston today calls for showers, but probably not until late this afternoon or into the evening. They’re taking batting practice on the field today, so the weather for this morning into game time looks good.
TIGERS (career numbers off John Lackey)
- Austin Jackson, CF (1-for-4, 2 K’s)
- Torii Hunter, RF (12-for-52, 2 HR, 3 walks, 10 K’s)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (3-for-6)
- Victor Martinez, DH (10-for-26, 4 walks, 3 K’s)
- Andy Dirks, LF (1-for-2, walk)
- Omar Infante, 2B (3-for-12, 6 K’s)
- Don Kelly, 3B (2-for-3)
- Alex Avila, C (0-for-4, 2 walks, K)
- Jose Iglesias, SS
P: Doug Fister
RED SOX (career numbers vs. Fister)
- Jacoby Ellsbury, CF (3-for-6, 2 walks)
- Shane Victorino, RF (3-for-3, HR)
- Dustin Pedroia, 2B (3-for-10, walk)
- David Ortiz, DH (5-for-17, 2 walks, 5 K’s)
- Daniel Nava, LF (3-for-10, walk, K)
- Mike Napoli, 1B (2-for-13, K)
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia, C (5-for-8, HR)
- Stephen Drew, SS (1-for-6, K)
- Will Middlebrooks, 3B (1-for-2, walk, K)
P: John Lackey