Wednesday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Twins
Miguel Cabrera is back in the lineup at third base. He suffered a groin injury on his first-pitch swing in the ninth inning Tuesday night, but manager Jim Leyland said today that he feels better now than he did yesterday. So he’s going.
Brayan Pena is not. His right toe injury has him out of the lineup tonight. Bryan Holaday gets the start behind the plate. Leyland said he could catch in an emergency, but he’s hurting. For tonight, though, Pena is still the likely backup. Victor Martinez was doing some work behind the plate before batting practice this afternoon, but that was in preparation for possible work this weekend against the Mets.
“I’m contemplating catching him a game in New York, and I’ll leave it at that,” Leyland said.
That is not necessarily related to Alex Avila’s status, but there’s a chance that Avila could be ready by then. He took batting practice again today. If he comes out of that with no issues, he could be cleared for a rehab assignment. It could be only one game to make sure he has no lingering side effects. It could be a few games. The top three Tigers affiliates are all on the road starting Thursday, but Leyland didn’t rule out the possibility of sending him with the Mud Hens on the road to Louisville.
TIGERS (career numbers off Kevin Correia)
- Austin Jackson, CF (3-for-9, walk, 2 K’s)
- Torii Hunter, RF (2-for-3)
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (11-for-22, HR, walk, 2 K’s)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (5-for-28, HR, 2 walks, K)
- Victor Martinez, DH (0-for-3, K)
- Andy Dirks, LF (1-for-9)
- Omar Infante, 2B (4-for-8)
- Jose Iglesias, SS
- Bryan Holaday, C
P: Anibal Sanchez
TWINS (career numbers off Sanchez)
- Brian Dozier, 2B (0-for-8, walk, 2 K’s)
- Chris Herrmann, RF
- Justin Morneau, DH (4-for-16, walk, 3 K’s)
- Ryan Doumit, C (4-for-16, walk, 7 K’s)
- Chris Colabello, 1B (0-for-1, K)
- Trevor Plouffe, 3B (3-for-9, HR, walk, 2 K’s)
- Clete Thomas, CF (1-for-2, K)
- Wilkin Ramirez, LF
- Pedro Florimon, SS (4-for-9, K)
P: Kevin Correia