Saturday’s lineups: Tigers at Indians
Sorry I missed out on this yesterday, but between the drive from Buffalo to Cleveland and a big notes day, it was kind of crazy. Gonna be days like that every once in a while.
Torii Hunter returns to the Tigers lineup, which means Don Kelly is back on the bench after two good days at the plate. Omar Infante is still at least a couple days away from a return. His shin is no problem a problem, not even bandaged at this point, but his ankle is holding him back from hitting off a tee, let alone taking BP. So Ramon Santiago should get at least a couple more days at second, which isn’t as big of a concern the way he’s swinging.
Talking with Santiago about that today, he said the at-bats have helped him find the bat speed he was really lacking for most of the season.
“The more you play, the more you get better timing,” Santiago said. “This game is about timing.”
Santiago said he also made a minor adjustment at the plate, choking up on the bat on the advice of hitting coach Lloyd McClendon. He seems to be getting to more pitches that way, but also hitting with more authority the last couple days than we’ve seen for most of the year from him.
As mentioned in the preview today, Anibal Sanchez will be on a pitch count. I’m not sure about the specific number (Jim Leyland didn’t have one), it doesn’t sound like it’ll be particularly deep. If Leyland needs somebody to cover innings, it’ll be Luke Putkonen. Again, they want Drew Smyly to do more short work and pitch in more games rather than pitch 2-3 innings every 3-4 days.
After umpteen weeks in a row of Tigers and Indians games being part of the FOX network broadcast, their game against each other is not on. That’s the reason behind the 4:05 start. The good news for people who don’t live near either city is that it’s not in the FOX window, so they can pick up the broadcast on MLB.TV.
TIGERS (career numbers off Carlos Carrasco)
- Austin Jackson, CF (2-for-3, K)
- Torii Hunter, RF (4-for-8, 2 HR, walk, 2 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (2-for-9, 2 walks, K)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (2-for-3)
- Victor Martinez, DH (1-for-5)
- Jhonny Peralta, SS (4-for-6)
- Andy Dirks, LF (2-for-3)
- Alex Avila, C (1-for-4, walk, 2 K’s)
- Ramon Santiago, SS (1-for-2)
P: Anibal Sanchez
INDIANS (career numbers off Sanchez)
- Michael Bourn, CF (6-for-18, walk, 5 K’s)
- Asdrubal Cabrera, SS (4-for-11, HR, walk, 3 K’s)
- Jason Kipnis, 2B (3-for-9, 3 K’s)
- Nick Swisher, 1B (2-for-5, walk, 3 K’s)
- Michael Brantley, LF (2-for-9, K)
- Carlos Santana, C (2-for-8, walk, K)
- Jason Giambi, DH (2-for-5, walk, K)
- Lonnie Chisenhall, 3B (1-for-3)
- Drew Stubbs, RF (1-for-3, 2 K’s)
P: Carlos Carrasco