Tuesday’s lineups: Tigers vs. Orioles
Jim Leyland had a couple of choices to make today. He had to choose between Matt Tuiasosopo or Avisail Garcia for left field, and he had to decide whether Brayan Pena would still be his catcher against left-handed starting pitchers. Pena, as mentioned yesterday, has been stronger against righties this year, and Bryan Holaday’s strength at the plate in Toledo was against southpaws. The fact that Tuiasosopo gets the start in left makes one wonder whether Garcia is simply a placeholder for the next couple days until Jose Alvarez arrives, since the Tigers clearly don’t need an extra reliever these days.
If it was another pitcher going for Detroit, maybe Holaday would get the start, because Leyland suggested he would get the start against Boston’s Jon Lester this weekend. But catching Justin Verlander is a whole other matter.
On the other side, the O’s have brought up Travis Ishikawa, giving them a left-handed bat to help get some production out of the DH spot. Chris Dickerson’s three-strikeout game last night dropped him to 5-for-31 in June with two doubles, no home runs, no RBIs and 15 strikeouts.
Austin Jackson doesn’t hit a lot of left-handed pitchers too well, but he hits this one, so he gets my pick in Beat the Streak. You can check out other picks around the league here if you want, but you probably don’t have to. This one’s solid.
TIGERS (career numbers off Britton)
- Austin Jackson, CF (4-for-6, K)
- Torii Hunter, RF (3-for-10, 3 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (3-for-9, HR, 3 K’s)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (0-for-2, walk, 2 K’s)
- Victor Martinez, DH (0-for-8, 2 K’s)
- Jhonny Peralta, SS (3-for-6)
- Matt Tuiasosopo, LF
- Omar Infante, 2B (2-for-2)
- Brayan Pena, C (0-for-2)
P: Justin Verlander
ORIOLES (career numbers off Verlander)
- Nate McLouth, LF (2-for-9, walk, K)
- Manny Machado, 3B (1-for-6, walk, 2 K’s)
- Nick Markakis, RF (10-for-41, 2 walks, 10 K’s)
- Adam Jones, CF (2-for-24, walk, 8 K’s)
- Chris Davis, 1B (3-for-14, 2 walks, 8 K’s)
- Matt Wieters, C (3-for-17, HR, walk, 3 K’s)
- J.J. Hardy, SS (6-for-28, 2 HR, walk, 6 K’s)
- Travis Ishikawa, DH
- Ryan Flaherty, 2B (0-for-4, K)
P: Zach Britton