Tigers sign top pick, 18 other selections
The Tigers have agreed to terms with top pick Jonathon Crawford, the former University of Florida right-hander who went 20th overall in last week’s First-Year Player Draft.
The deal had been expected, both for the spot where Crawford was drafted and its accompanying draft slot. Terms weren’t announced, but the 20th overall selection carried a slot of $2,001,700.
Most likely, Crawford will report to short-season Class A Connecticut. Tigers VP of amateur scouting David Chadd said last week that he expected Crawford and the other pitchers they selected on the first day of the draft — right-hander Corey Knebel from the University of Texas went with the 39th overall selection, while Vanderbilt left-hander Kevin Ziomek went with the 58th pick — to begin their careers there. Neither Knebel nor Ziomek have signed yet.
The Tigers announced deals with 18 other selections from the draft Friday, but none earlier than the fifth-round selection. Among the other signings:
- 5th rounder Buck Farmer, RHP, Georgia Tech
- 6th rounder Calvin Drummond, RHP, Arizona Christian
- 8th rounder Zach Reininger, RHP, Hill (TX) JC
- 10th rounder Kasey Coffman, CF, Arizona State
- 12th rounder Dominic Ficociello, 3B, Arkansas
- 13th rounder Austin Green, C, Univ. of San Diego
- 14th rounder Ben Verlander, OF, Old Dominion
- 16th rounder Duncan McAlpine, C, Dallas Baptist
- 18th rounder Jonathan Maciel, RHP, Cal State Long Beach
- 19th rounder Austin Pritcher, RHP, The Citadel
- 21st rounder Curt Powell, SS, Georgia
- 25th rounder Johnnie Kirkland, RHP, Southeastern
- 27th rounder Joe Mantiply, LHP, Virginia Tech
- 28th rounder Scott Sitz, RHP, Florida State
- 30th rounder Ryan Beck, LHP, New Mexico State
- 31st rounder Brett Huber, RHP, Mississippi
- 32nd rounder Tanner Bailey, RHP, Mississippi
- 40th rounder Taylor Johnson, 2B, St. Edwards