June 4th, 2013
A game after Leyland blamed himself and his managing of the pitching staff for Sunday’s loss in Baltimore, Leyland also stated the obvious why his pitchers have such little margin for error these days.
“We’re not scoring runs,” Leyland said. “We scored them in that one lopsided game, but we’re not scoring runs. I mean, that to me, that’s one thing that we’re supposed to be able to do. We’re a little bit short [with injuries], but everybody has that issue.”
Indeed, though the Tigers continue to lead the big leagues with a .279 average and .346 on-base percentage, they’re down to third in runs scored with 285, just ahead of the Rays and behind the Red Sox and Orioles.
Matt Moore doesn’t provide much hope for changing that tonight, but the Tigers will throw their righty-heavy lineup against him. It means the fifth consecutive start for Avisail Garcia, who seems to be getting into an everyday rhythm now.
Meanwhile, the Rays lineup presents a test for relief matchups: Lefty, switch-hitter, lefty, righty, lefty, righty, lefty, righty, righty.
TIGERS (numbers off Matt Moore)
- Omar Infante, 2B (0-for-6, K)
- Torii Hunter, RF (2-for-8, walk, K)
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (0-for-1, 2 walks)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (0-for-2, walk)
- Victor Martinez, DH
- Jhonny Peralta, SS (0-for-3)
- Matt Tuiasosopo, LF
- Brayan Pena, C
- Avisail Garcia, CF
P: Anibal Sanchez
RAYS (with career numbers off Sanchez)
- Matt Joyce, RF (3-for-9, HR, 2 K’s)
- Ben Zobrist, 2B (2-for-10, 2 walks, K)
- Kelly Johnson, LF (5-for-26, HR, 2 walks, 3 K’s)
- Evan Longoria, 3B (1-for-6, K)
- James Loney, 1B (3-for-7)
- Desmond Jennings, CF (0-for-4, 2 walks)
- Luke Scott, DH (0-for-5, walk, 2 K’s)
- Jose Molina, C (2-for-2, HR)
- Yunel Escobar, SS (6-for-24, HR, 5 walks, 4 K’s)
P: Matt Moore
Quintin Berry is headed to Triple-A Omaha after the Royals claimed him on waivers from the Tigers. Detroit designated Berry for assignment on Wednesday to make room for Francisco Martinez.
No word on what will happen with the Triple-A Toledo roster to fill his spot. The Mud Hens have been a man down since Berry was designated, but if Austin Jackson is close to a rehab assignment, he can fill that spot for a few days. Then the Hens will get an outfielder from Detroit (presumably Avisail Garcia) when Jackson is activated.