Wednesday’s lineups: Tigers at Pirates
Is this the start of a new two-game series, or a continuation of a four-game series? Discuss while you peruse the lineup.
Because of the change of venue, the Tigers lose the DH, which means Victor Martinez is on the bench for this one. Alex Avila is just 1-for-8 off A.J. Burnett, while Brayan Pena is 1-for-9, but catching V-Mart for a start appears to be out of the question at this point in the season. Maybe that changes later.
One thing worth watching is the pitch count on Anibal Sanchez. Jim Leyland said after last start he might be conservative with Sanchez’s pitch count after his no-hit bid last time out, and he backed that up today.
“I’m going to watch him. We’ll watch him close,” Leyland said Wednesday afternoon. “We’re not going to do anything ridiculous.”
The only reliever who might be held back tonight is Joaquin Benoit. Drew Smyly is back and available, and Jose Ortega could be back out there.
As you can tell below, there aren’t many great numbers for Tigers hitters off A.J. Burnett, even among those who faced him for years. Omar Infante’s 3-for-6 off him includes 1-for-3 in a matchup last year. It takes a little projection, but I took a shot with him tonight for Beat the Streak. You can check out other MLB.com writers’ picks here.
If you want to watch the Red Wings tonight but still track the Tigers, you can follow online with Gameday or take advantage of the MLB.com At-Bat app. Better yet, you can get a second screen going with MLB.TV (if you live out of market) or watch Wings-Blackhawks on mute and listen to the Tigers on MLB.com Gameday Audio. Locally, the game is televised on Fox Sports Detroit and broadcast on AM 1270.
TIGERS (with career numbers off A.J. Burnett)
- Andy Dirks, LF (1-for-3)
- Torii Hunter, RF (9-for-33, 2 HR, 3 walks, 7 K’s)
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (4-for-22, walk, 2 K’s)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (3-for-11, 2 HR, 2 walks, K)
- Jhonny Peralta, SS (4-for-19, HR, 2 walks, 4 K’s)
- Alex Avila, C (1-for-8, walk, K)
- Omar Infante, 2B (3-for-6)
- Don Kelly, CF (1-for-8)
- Anibal Sanchez, P
PIRATES (with career numbers off Anibal Sanchez)
- Starling Marte, LF
- Neil Walker, 2B (1-for-11, walk, 3 K’s)
- Andrew McCutchen, CF (4-for-11, walk, 5 K’s)
- Garrett Jones, 1B (1-for-7, 2 K’s)
- Russell Martin, C (3-for-9, 2 K’s)
- Pedro Alvarez, 3B (3-for-9, HR, 3 K’s)
- Travis Snider, RF (0-for-3)
- Jordy Mercer, SS (1-for-3)
- A.J. Burnett, P