May 21st, 2013
Small sample size, but right-handed hitters are batting way higher (20-for-56, .357) off Corey Kluber than left-handed hitters (14-for-57, .256). It’s big enough for Jim Leyland to take a shot and start Matt Tuiasosopo against a right-hander for a change. With Tuiasosopo in left, Andy Dirks will make his first start in center since Sept. 26, 2011.
On the Indians side, Nick Swisher is out of the lineup tonight after his wife gave birth earlier today. He has been placed on the paternity leave list.
No word yet whether he’ll go on the paternity list.
You’ve got a couple of good choices if you want to play a Tiger in MLB.com’s Beat the Streak game. Both Miguel Cabrera and Omar Infante have very good numbers off Corey Kluber. Cabrera is coming off a red-hot series in Texas, while Peralta is facing his old team. That said, Peralta went just 1-for-27 at Progressive Field last season. I still went with Peralta.
- Andy Dirks, CF (2-for-11, 3 K’s off Kluber)
- Torii Hunter, RF (1-for-3, K off Kluber)
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (4-for-9, HR, walk, 3 K’s off Kluber)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (2-for-7, HR off Kluber)
- Victor Martinez, DH (0-for-3, walk off Kluber)
- Jhonny Peralta, SS (4-for-7, walk, K off Kluber)
- Matt Tuiasosopo, LF
- Alex Avila, C (2-for-7, walk, 2 K’s off Kluber)
- Omar Infante, 2B (2-for-6 off Kluber)
P: Max Scherzer
- Michael Bourn, CF (1-for-11, walk, 4 K’s vs. Scherzer)
- Jason Kipnis, 2B (3-for-14, 2 walks, 4 K’s vs. Scherzer)
- Asdrubal Cabrera, SS (7-for-29, HR, 2 walks, 11 K’s vs. Scherzer)
- Michael Brantley, LF (7-for-25, HR, walk, K vs. Scherzer)
- Carlos Santana, C (3-for-23, 4 walks, 3 K’s vs. Scherzer)
- Mark Reynolds, 1B (0-for-8, walk, 5 K’s vs. Scherzer)
- Jason Giambi, DH (0-for-3, 2 K’s vs. Scherzer)
- Mike Aviles, 3B (4-for-10, K vs. Scherzer)
- Drew Stubbs, RF (0-for-3, K vs. Scherzer)
P: Corey Kluber