May 4th, 2013
Here in Toledo, where the Mud Hens are wearing those Chewbacca jerseys that have gotten national attention. One pitcher here who won’t be wearing them is Phil Coke, who has been at Fifth Third Field working out ever since the Tigers went on their road trip. At this rate, though, it would not be a surprise if the left-hander dons a Mud Hens jersey for a rehab assignment in the next few days.
Coke said Saturday he threw a 26-pitch session off the bullpen mound after playing catch off flat ground for three straight days. He felt his left groin strain a little bit, but nothing severe.
“It wasn’t anywhere close to what I felt in Detroit [throwing on Tuesday],” Coke said.
The big test for Coke will be how he feels tomorrow. If he feels all right, that should be the clearance for him to take the next step, as he put it. Given that the Tigers want him to face live hitters, it would not be a surprise at all if that next step was a rehab assignment this coming week. The Mud Hens homestand runs through Thursday.
Austin Jackson returns to the leadoff spot and center field. Don Kelly gets a day off.
- Austin Jackson, CF (1-for-6, 2 K’s off Harrell)
- Torii Hunter, RF
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (0-for-4, walk off Harrell)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (2-for-2 off Harrell)
- Victor Martinez, DH (1-for-1 off Harrell)
- Andy Dirks, LF
- Jhonny Peralta, SS (1-for-5, double off Harrell)
- Alex Avila, C (1-for-3 off Harrell)
- Omar Infante, 2B (2-for-2 off Harrell)
P: Max Scherzer
- Robbie Grossman, CF
- Jose Altuve, 2B
- Jason Castro, DH
- Carlos Pena, 1B (0-for-6, 3 K’s off Scherzer)
- Carlos Corporan, C
- Chris Carter, LF
- Ronny Cedeno, SS (3-for-4, K, HBP off Scherzer)
- Rick Ankiel, RF (0-for-4, 3 walks, 2 K’s off Scherzer)
- Matt Dominguez, 3B
P: Lucas Harrell