April 3rd, 2013
The Tigers announced Wednesday that they claimed right-hander Evan Reed off waivers from the Miami Marlins and assigned him to Triple-A Toledo.
The big 27-year-old split last season went 3-1 with a 2.34 ERA and 12 saves at Double-A Jacksonville, striking out 43 batters in 34 2/3 innings while allowing 24 hits. He went to Triple-A New Orleans and those totals flipped, with 27 strikeouts and 43 hits allowed over 32 2/3 innings. The Mud Hens will use him out of their bullpen.
The waiver claim puts the Tigers’ 40-man roster at 40 players. So if they end up making another claim or otherwise adding another player, they’ll need to remove somebody.
Reed was in big league camp with the Marlins, competing for a bullpen spot, but was optioned out on March 11. Miami designated his contract for assignment at the end of camp to open a 40-man roster spot.
Kevin Correia has pretty much been the same pitcher for the last four years, with a record around .500, 9-10 hits per nine innings and a low strikeout rate. But one thing he has in his favor going into his first start as a Twin is his success against Prince Fielder: 5-for-25 with a double, a home run and six RBIs. He went 1-for-6 against him last year. On the flip side, not surprisingly, is Miguel Cabrera.
- Austin Jackson, CF (2-for-6 off Correia)
- Torii Hunter, RF
- Miguel Cabrera, 3B (9-for-19, HR, 6 RBIs off Correia)
- Prince Fielder, 1B (5-for-25, HR, 6 RBIs off Correia)
- Victor Martinez, DH
- Andy Dirks, LF (1-for-6, double off Correia)
- Jhonny Peralta, SS (1-for-6, HR off Correia)
- Alex Avila, C (1-for-8 off Correia)
- Omar Infante, 2B (3-for-5, 2 RBIs off Correia)
P: Anibal Sanchez
- Aaron Hicks, CF
- Joe Mauer, C (4-for-5 off Sanchez)
- Josh Willingham, LF (2-for-9, 6 walks off Sanchez)
- Justin Morneau, 1B (1-for-6 off Sanchez)
- Ryan Doumit, C (2-for-9, 5 K’s off Sanchez)
- Trevor Plouffe, 3B (2-for-6 off Sanchez)
- Chris Parmelee, RF (0-for-3, K off Sanchez)
- Brian Dozier, 2B
- Pedro Florimon, SS (1-for-3 off Sanchez)
P: Kevin Correia