Dombrowski talks about Delmon Young situation
A few hours after the Tigers placed Delmon Young on MLB’s restricted list, Dave Dombrowski talked to reporters and tried to give an update on the situation.
Bottom line: Young will be on the restricted list until an independent doctor evaluates him Monday and gives a report. What happens from there depends entirely on the report.
“If he is cleared to play by the doctors, at that point, he will play,” Dombrowski said. “Now, I don’t know if I will find out on Monday, but assuming that I find out Monday, if he is cleared to play, he will play, because that’s the arrangement that is involved in this type of scenario. …
“He is accused of a misdemeanor at this point. If he is cleared by the doctors, he would be in a position to play at that time.”
More quotes from Dombrowski today:
- “There are allegations that are involved. They don’t really know what took place. I don’t think anybody does with 100 percent certainty, but that’s all part of the evaluation process, and that’s why he’s going through this.”
- “He is extremely remorseful, extremely apologetic. Of course, you read his statement. I saw him yesterday morning, and he was apologetic at that point.”
- On why anger management will be evaluated: “I don’t know what their decision was in that regard. I don’t know if it had to do antyhing with that [history] or just the allegations as far as his comments are concerned. To me, he’s doing it, so the appropriate steps are being taken.
- On whether club could issue discipline: “Well, I guess it depends upon every different circumstance. I don’t think the club is prohibited from doing that, but I think we’re still in the step-by-step process.”
- On Dombrowski’s personal feelings on the accusations: “My personal feelings are … all I know, and I was there, that the person was not in a very good state as far as his sobriety. That is not a good situation. That’s all I know. I do know that he was in a skirmish. I do know that. Beyond that, I don’t know anything else. Those situations themselves are concerning, and not what you would like to see. If the allegations are true, that is also concerning and not something you would want to see happen.”
- More Dombrowski: “I was there that night. I do know that some things that have been written are not accurate. I don’t know that. I am not doing to get into them, but I do know wholeheartedly that, because I read some articles in the papers this morning that are not accurate.”
- On when he received a call: “I don’t know. It was between 3:30 and 4 o’clock. He was up in his room at that point. I was one of numerous people in that room. He had already been charged.”
- On knowing right away it wasn’t good: “I don’t normally get too many good calls at 3:30, 4 o’clock in the morning.”