Tigers winter caravan schedule is out
I wrote a story on the upcoming Tigers winter caravan yesterday. The schedule is now officially out. Here’s a list of the scheduled events that are open to the public:
Thursday, January 19
- Palladium 12 Theatre, downtown Birmingham, 3-5 pm: Tigers help celebrate the theatre’s 10th anniversary with a fan rally, billed as the largest fan event on the caravan. Admission is free. Doors open at 3pm, with the player portion of the program starting at 4.
- Hockeytown Authentics, Troy, 5-6pm: Fans will have the chance to take a photo with two Tigers players in exchange for a donation of two nonperishable food items to the Salvation Army.
Friday, January 20
- The Detroit Shoppe at Somerset Collection, Troy, 1-1:45pm: Tigers players will appear to play Tigers trivia with fans. In addition, the customer who spends the most at the store between 10am and 1pm will win a special grand prize. All proceeds from purchases at the store that day will benefit the Detroit Tigers Foundation.
- Meijer of Auburn Hills, 1:05-1:40pm: Tigers players and broadcasters will serve as celebrity crew members by working the deli counter, in the bakery or bagging groceries at the checkout lanes. Jose Valverde, Austin Jackson and Doug Fister are expected to attend.
- North American International Auto Show, Cobo Center, 3:30-4:30pm: Tigers players will take part in a fan rally and parade as well as a question-and-answer session.
Tickets are available to a couple other Tigers-related events next week:
- Tigers manager Jim Leyland, pitching coach Jeff Jones, hitting coach Lloyd McClendon and third-base coach Gene Lamont will join superutilityman Don Kelly, top prospect Jacob Turner, and swing pitcher Duane Below for the annual Toledo Mud Hens Fandeomium event at Fifth Third Field on Wednesday night. Tickets are $10 and are available at mudhens.com.
- Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski will return to his alma mater, Western Michigan University, to give the keynote address at a luncheon at the Bernhard Student Center on Friday, Jan. 20 from noon to 1:30. A selection of Tigers players and coaches will be joining. Tickets cost $10 and are available by phone at 269-387-8746.