Tigers announce spring training invites
The list of non-roster invites to spring training is out, both for minor-league free agents and for Tigers prospects. Most of the names have already been announced, or at least strongly hinted it. Some haven’t. That includes third-base prospect Nick Castellanos.
Castellanos was an extra player at a few games last spring, but he’ll be in camp every day this time around, at least for the first few weeks. So will last year’s
first-round top pick, James McCann, who will serve as one of the extra catchers to catch some of the many pitchers in camp. Drew Smyly, reigning Tigers minor-league pitcher of the year, was also announced as a non-roster invite.
Here’s the full list, which actually isn’t a very long list compared with past years:
- RHP: Chris Bootcheck
- LHPs: Darin Downs, Drew Smyly
- Catchers: Rob Brantly, Curt Casali, Bryan Holaday, Patrick Leyland, James McCann, Omir Santos
- Infielders: Nick Castellanos, Audy Ciriaco, Argenis Diaz, Ryan Strieby
- Infielders/outfielders: Justin Henry, Eric Patterson
- Outfielders: Quintin Berry, Jerad Head, Matt Young
The Tigers also made their reporting dates official. Pitchers and catchers report to camp on February 19, with the first workout the next day. Most pitchers, however, will be in camp before that. The first full-squad workout is February 24.