Game 4 of ALCS set to start at 6:30
Game 4 of the American League Championship Series between the Tigers and Rangers is scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m. ET after a weather system parked over metro Detroit all afternoon finally made its way east.
It marked the third time this series that weather has played a role in this series. Two separate rain delays in the fifth inning of Game 1 Saturday night knocked starters Justin Verlander and C.J. Wilson out of the game. A day later, forecasts of a rain-soaked Sunday night in Texas pushed back Game 2 to Monday afternoon and cost the two teams a workout day in Detroit and forced Detroit fans to channel surf for a stretch between the Tigers game and the Lions’ return to Monday Night Football.
The forecasts called for a 30 percent chance of showers going into the day Wednesday, but Mother Nature had other ideas with a rain system just west enough to keep raining on Comerica Park as it moved northward. The rain began in the morning and didn’t let up until shortly after 5 p.m. ET. The tarp came off the infield around 5:50 p.m.
Because the game was delayed from the outset, Game 4 starters Rick Porcello and Matt Harrison didn’t lose any pitches and were at full strength for the start.
One likely factor of concern for Major League Baseball in its Wednesday delay was the forecast for the next couple days. The National Weather Service calls for a 60 percent of rain Wednesday night, 30 percent chance of rain on Thursday afternoon, then rising to 70 percent Thursday night. Friday is scheduled to be an off-day between Games 5 and 6, allowing the teams to travel from Detroit back to Texas.