June 22nd, 2009

Tigers to call up Dolsi

Freddy Dolsi will get another shot at the big leagues beginning Tuesday, when the Tigers recall the right-hander from Triple-A Toledo. The team announced the move Monday as the follow-up to Sunday’s postgame move that optioned Ryan Perry to the Mud Hens.

The 26-year-old Dolsi is 2-2 with a 4.35 ERA and four saves in 24 appearances with the Hens this year, but has seemingly found his game in June after opponents batted .409 against him in May. Since the start of this month, he has allowed two runs on eight hits over 10 2/3 innings and converted three saves.

Dolsi made 42 appearances for the Tigers last year with a 1-5 record and two saves to go with a 3.97 ERA over 47 2/3 innings. He made an early impression with the club after arriving in May, but fell into command struggles, evidenced by his 28 walks.

UPDATE: Also on Saturday, the Tigers outrighted the contract of catcher Dane Sardinha to Toledo. Detroit designated Sardinha for assignment after Friday’s game, replacing him at backup catcher with prospect Dusty Ryan.

Boras clears up comments

Just heard back from agent Scott Boras, who clarified his remarks regarding manager Jim Leyland’s decision to sit Magglio Ordonez for a stretch. The point Boras wanted to make is that his remarks were in response to reporters’ questions about Ordonez’s contract, which of course includes a $15 million club option for next year that automatically vests if Ordonez has 215 more plate appearances this season. His remarks were not, he emphasized, in response to Leyland’s decision.

“Those two writers asked me questions about contracts,” Boras said. “They never asked me questions about playing time.”

More to the point, Boras said he wasn’t trying to tell the Tigers what to do with Ordonez’s situation.

“I was not delivering a message to Jim Leyland,” Boras said. “I would call Jim Leyland if I wanted to talk with him.”

On Sunday, Leyland said he was caught off guard by Boras’ remarks from Friday, and he believed Boras “overreacted” to the Tigers’ decision. Given what we know now, that Leyland is most likely going to put Ordonez back in the starting lineup in the next few days, it appears Leyland’s use of the term “indefinite” to describe how long Ordonez would be out of the lineup might’ve been a little strong, though Leyland said Sunday he didn’t mean it to signify the long term.

Boras did go to some of his statistics to defend Ordonez from citicism, but he said those were in response to questions about Ordonez’s age — he’s 35 — and his production. He’s batting .300 with runners in scoring position, and he’s 8-for-18 with a runner in scoring position and two outs.

“Magglio is not in a particular [overall] slump,” Boras said. “He’s in a power slump.”

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 25,537 other followers